Sunday, May 17, 2015

Entry #5 to the 9th Lead Painters' League - 'Attack of the Clockwork Monkeys'


For something a little off the beaten path I decided to do up this whacky group of clockwork monkeys for my 5th entry to the Lead Painters' League.


These 28mm figures are from Westfalia Miniatures' new steampunk range. I found the castings to be excellent, requiring almost no prep, essentially ready for paint straight out of the packaging.  A delight to work with.


Their fezzes crack me up. I dunno what it is, but there is nothing like a jaunty fez for adding that  je ne c'est quoi to a villain. 



Unfortunately these little fellas didn't really gain much favour with the LPL voters, but no matter, I still had a ball working on them. 


I have another four or five to get done and then they'll be ready to cause clockwork mayhem on the tabletop.

Thanks for stopping for a visit everyone!

Next Up: Bolshevik Infantry from the Russian Civil War

22 comments:

  1. Fezzes are cool! Nice little monkey bots Curt.
    Cheers, PD

    ReplyDelete
  2. Really cool small warriors! Great painting work, too. Perhaps they are too serious, the people from LPL...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cheers Juan. To be perfectly honest these simian lads were up against some very stiff competition, so I was not really surprised by the results.

      Delete
  3. Is it a Fez though? Or is it in fact a Tarboosh? ;)

    Excellent work as ever Curt. That LPL crowd must be a tough audience if they didn't like these cheeky chappies.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Don't even get Phil started!! ;)

      Thanks for dropping by to say hello Tamsin!

      Delete
    2. Dammit you beat me to it.

      I'll let this one slide. These can be Turkish Monkeys in their damn fine fezzes.

      Delete
    3. Turkish clockwork monkeys... Absolutely. If that keeps them away from wearing cartooshes, or whathaveyou, then they're Turks for sure. ;)

      Delete
  4. Neat! I really like these little fellahs!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Well these sure are different, but they sure so look good Curt!

    Christopher

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yup, a little off the beaten path, for sure, but I'm glad you like them Christopher!

      Delete
  6. Wonderfully funky monkeys. I like 'em!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They do have a bit of a funk about them, don't they. I reason that if they ever break their swords or run out of ammo they can always throw poo.

      Delete
  7. Wonderfully, inventively, barkingly MAD!!!! Great paintwork, and just the thing to bring on a smile on a damp evening.

    Keep up the standard.

    Pip pip

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Richard, they are somewhat bonkers, I do admit. :)

      Delete
  8. Splendid work Curt. I hope these monkeys didn't wind you up too much.....(groan)... I do like the fezzes!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ahh, very good Mr. Roundwood. I can imagine you were percolating on that one for a while. ;)

      Delete
  9. Splendid work Mr. Campbell! The metallics look great and there's nothing better than fezzes to get the creative juices flowing, isn't it?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Nick! Yes, a good fez always greases the rails of the imagination. :)

      Delete

Thanks for your comment! As long as you're not a spam droid I'll have it up on the blog soon. :)